Monday, January 15, 2007

Silver foil can go in green bin/box too

Not sure if this is a recent development, or if I'm the only one who didn't already know this, but having read a briefing for councillors on recycling provision in the borough, I now know that (clean) silver foil and foil trays can go in the recycling bin. Hurray! As if I needed another excuse to have take-aways from Ladywell Tandoori! Always wondered why aluminium cans could be recycled but not aluminium foil trays. All the trays I'd been dutifully saving in my cellar for next time I went to my Mum's (who lives in Worcester where they have recycled foil for ages) went in the green wheelie bin on Thursday. Dread to think what recycling collectors thought when they emptied the bin.

4 comments:

Andrew Brown said...

This has been the case for a while. I certainly remember posting about it on my old blog when I had some responsibilities for these issues.

Anonymous said...

In that case someone should have told a) the Mayor and b) the general public because I distinctly remember asking a question about this at one of the meet the mayor things at St Andrew's Church a while back and being told no, silver foil couldn't be put in the recycling bins. I don't think any of the literature mentions silver foil, but I could be wrong.

Andrew Brown said...

I didn't insist on publicity on the advice of officers, who I think were worried about the potential of unwashed foil contaminating the waste stream.

Anonymous said...

I can see their concern, and there will always be some who just don't get it, but if we are asking residents to rinse out their baked bin tins, we really could say 'and your take-away chana massala foil dishes', couldn't we?