Just a quick post to flag up a few of the many events happening locally over the weekend.
1) London Open House: loads of buildings that aren't normally open to the public are open this weekend, including 13 in Lewisham. The one I'm particularly keen to go and visit is the self-build house on Walters Way, Honor Oak, which has been eco-retrofitted by the same builder who did my insulation. I've heard lots about it so I'm keen to see the finished product.
2) Lewisham Green Party Action Saturday: not quite so well known as Open House, but important to us, it mostly involves shoving lots of newsletters through doors, with a dash of door-knocking for those who are up for it, followed by food and frivolities in the evening. New volunteers always welcome; we've just taken delivery of our Autumn newsletter, which is to go out to homes across Lewisham Deptford constituency, and would welcome as much help as possible delivering them. Just turn up at 202 Malpas Road, SE4 1DH from 10am onwards.
3) Mike's 50th birthday party: this is invitation only, but I just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my fellow ward councillor.
4) Folkus Festival, Saturday 19th Septmber, 12pm-12am, Sanford Housing Co-op, Sanford Walk New Cross SE146NB. "BANDS, ART, FILM, PERFORMANCE, COMMUNITY, DISCUSSIONS. Some of you will know about Sanford Housing Co-Op…a little oasis in New Cross with a newly built, award-winning bikeshed/recycle-stage made from railway sleepers, beautiful gardens and communal housing for urban nomads of all descriptions.
This year sees the return of the Sanford annual celebration. For the last 30 years Sanford has staged a free, inclusive community event that is renowned for promoting great music and art as well as co-operative/sustainable living. "
(Incidentally, there was also a great write up in today's Guardian on the work Sanford Housing Co-op have done to reduce their carbon emissions.)
5) Lewisham Country Fayre: Sunday 20th September. For the third year running, this popular event is taking place in Cornmill Gardens, from 12-6pm.
6) Also on Sunday, but a bit further afield in Herne Hill, the Urban Green Fair is taking place in Burgess Park, 11am-7pm. There are usually a huge range of stalls, talks and events showcasing the best in green business, community groups etc, and entirely powered by the wind and sun. Transition Lewisham are having a stall there, and a couple of people who were involved in Brockley Max are also attending, with a view to organising a Lewisham Sustainability Fair in the Spring.
7) And finally, on Sunday, Lewisham Green Party members are likely to be humiliated by the superior forces of Greenwich Green Party's 'petanque' team, in Twinkle Park in Deptford. If you know your boules, please do come and join us, meeting at 4pm in the Dog and Bell!
UPDATE: I forgot the big central London bike ride formerly known as Freewheel, now rather crassly named after its sponsor. Anyway, still a good event regardless of the sponsor. This Sunday, details here. There is a feeder ride leaving Ladywell Fields at 10.15am I believe.